The UFC still raised the white flag and refused to hold tournaments in the midst of a raging worldwide epidemic of coronavirus.
After several weeks of persistent effort to organize scheduled events in time, UFC President Dana white stated that all future tournaments including the UFC 249 – was postponed indefinitely.
White noted that the decision was made after he was contacted by high-ranking officials from ESPN and the Disney channel, asking him not to organize events during a pandemic coronavirus.
“I told you that it was a real battle from the very first day,” said white in an interview with Brett Okamoto. “We fought non-stop day and night since then, when the pandemic began to threaten the event of the 18th of April. And today we got a call from the highest level in Disney and ESPN. We have incredible partnerships with ESPN, they were very kind to us, and they asked me to step aside and not to hold this event next Saturday.”
Recall that the UFC 249 was supposed to go on the Indian reservation, located near the town of Lamar (California), and in the main event match the fans were expecting the battle for the WBC interim champion light weight between Tony Ferguson and Justin Gati, substitute is Habib Nurmagomedov.